Day 3 - Exercies on Analysis
Geant4 and Calorimetry in HEP
In this exercise you are asked to select some of the following questions and to answer them, applying what you have learned about Geant4 simulation in the past days. This is not a complete list, feel free to add your own questions.
- Count number of particles created (by type) .
- Count number of steps by particle type ?
- Count average step length by particle type ?
- Count energy deposition by particle type ?
- Separate energy deposition into "EM" and "hadronic" components
For fun: try correlation of "EM" energy deposit and visible energy
- Try to find a correlation between number (fraction) of produced pi0s and EM energy
- Count energy deposition as a function of time (by particle type)
- Look at differences in those distributions by physics list
Particularly comparing EM behavior in QGSP_BERT vs QGSP_BERT_EMV vs QGSP_BERT_EMX and hadronic behavior in QGSP_BERT vs FTFP_BERT vs QGSP_BIC vs CHIPS
- Look at differences in those distributions by primary type Try electrons, positrons, protons, pions, neutrons
- Look at differences in response vs primary energy. How does the ratio e/h evolve with primary energy?
- unpack the code for this exercise into your working directory
% cd ~/g4course2011
% wget http://www.ifh.de/geant4/g4course2011/day3g.tgz
% tar xzf day3g.tgz
% cd day3g
- compile and generate an executable:
% gmake clean
% gmake -j2
- execute 'calorimeter' in interactive mode with visualization:
Idle> # type your commands. example:
Idle> /run/beamOn 1